Neurobiology is the study of the nervous system, which is involved in responses to stimuli. An response involves a series of neurons that are called a reflex arc. The example below illustrates the response to pain.
- Pain receptors (nerve endings of sensory neurons) detect pain.
- The impulse is carried from the pain receptor to the central nervous system.
- The impulse travels to the ends of the sensory neuron where message are passed to the relay neuron.
- The relay neurons then passes the impulse to motor neurons, which carry the impulse out of the CNS. The impulse travels to the muscle.
- The impulse is finally carried to the muscle fiber, which caused the muscle to contract, creating the physical reaction to pain.